During 2019 the Trust began to investigate concerns which had been raised regarding the urology service. As a result of the initial enquiries it asked NHS England/Improvement to commission an independent external investigation into the service and the allegations that had been made.
NHS England/Improvement have now asked Niche Health and Social Care Consulting to carry out this investigation and they have begun their initial work.
February 2020 update
Niche Health and Social Care Consulting has now begun the first phase of the Urology Investigation. The Investigation is likely to take up to 12 months to complete and report.
The Trust Board welcomes the Investigation and is fully committed to supporting its work. We believe it will be an opportunity to understand where things could and should have been better, and hope it will provide answers to the questions of those affected by any failures.
We are working to ensure that our efforts to aid the Investigation will have minimal impact on patient services and that staff will be supported and kept informed throughout.
To ensure we effectively respond to the Investigation, we will be investing in additional resources in a number of support and clinical areas, and these will be communicated via existing channels.
We will keep you updated of any relevant developments.
Freedom of information & statements
- FOI 8089 - Copies of all internal and external reviews of the trust’s urology services since 2012
- FOI 8554 - Royal College of Surgeons review of urology surgery 2016
- FOI 7808 - Response to request for personal data of former Consultant
- FOI 10011 - Response to request for Urology Root Cause Analyses Investigations from previous two years
- FOI 10011 - Covering letter following internal review of request 10011
- FOI 10011 - Internal review report of request 10011
- FOI 10570 - Response to request for details of 2016 Root Cause Analyses
- FOI 10659 - Response to request for witness statement at Employment Tribunal from consultant
- FOI 11168 - Request for further information following response to NHS Resolution FOI 4283